Sunday, April 10, 2011

Looking Up


         When issues seem to be getting difficult, I look up in the night sky and try to see how many constellations I can find.   I do not know that many, but I try to pick out as many as I do know.  

         Though strange, I find something therapeutically soothing in looking up.  The twinkling and shining stars illuminate the dark sky and if you are looking in the right place, you can see a distant planet smiling back at you.  

          It is not the science, but the simple act of looking up and beholding something much bigger than I am. When we get lost in our internal problems and struggles, it easy to become consumed by ourselves.  We have deadlines to make, meetings to attend, families to raise, people to feed, bills to pay, and in the business of life, we miss the excellent opportunity to lift up our eyes and behold the one greater than I.    

          Psalm 123 is an individual’s painful prayer to God about suffering at the hands of the arrogant.  He begins his prayer by stating his powerful trust in God, but he lifts up his eyes first.  Like a servant looks up to his master or a maiden to her mistress, the author looks to God to show them mercy and to provide all that their needs.  

          The challenge for us today is to understand what it means to lift up our eyes to the Lord.  We should be looking up to God in all our situations.  No matter how bleak they might seem, we should be looking towards God.  Let us not forget the hectic lives around us, but let us also not neglect the God above us.  I will lift up mine eyes …
   

No comments:

Post a Comment